Our favourite way to cool down on hot days is with ice cream sandwiches! They’re always a hit at the cottage, after the game, at the family bbq, or anytime that calls for delicious fun.
So, who is the genius we should all give thanks to for inventing the ice cream sandwich? According to The New York Times, which cites the book Of Sugar and Snow: A History of Ice Cream Making, by Jeri Quinzio, the credit is given to a New York City pushcart peddler in 1899. The original incarnation was a smear of ice cream between two thin graham wafers that were revolutionary not only because they provided a hand-held option for ice cream but also because they conducted the heat of the eater’s hands to the frozen treat, allowing it to be more easily consumed.
The secret recipe:
- Choose a cookie. The best part is there is no wrong choice. The best cookie is one you’re craving most!
- Choose your favourite vegan ice cream. Scoop onto one of your cookies, and pop the other cookie on top to close your sandwich. We love, and have enjoyed many ice cream sandwiches made with Luna and Larry’s Coconut Bliss and So Delicious cashew-based and soy-based ice creams.
- Roll your sandwich in your favourite add-ons. Smashed chocolate bits, sprinkles, coconut flakes all work and taste great.
Tips + Tricks:
- Two of our favourite combos are Double Chocolate Cookies with Mint ice cream, and Chocolate Chip Cookies with Salted Caramel ice cream.
- Try using our boxed Cashew Cookies to make smaller sandwiches, or use our ready-to-bake gluten-free or nut-free doughs to achieve your perfect cookie size.
- Substitute cookies for a muffin – just cut in half and fold your ice cream in between!
Mix it Up is a series we created to share new and creative ways to enjoy our sinfully delicious sweets! Take a picture of the ice cream sandwiches you make with our cookies, and post and tag us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest so we can see your delicious creations, try them ourselves, and share with others too.